So today the 4th December 2017 the new driving test has started.
There are basically four changes.
The independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutes this is roughly half the driving test. Four out of five driving tests will be using the Sat Nav and one in five will be following road signs. You will be asked one of seven show me questions on the move. Take a look at our video of Sat Nav driving.
The examiner will bring the sat nav and they will set the route, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO USE YOUR OWN SAT NAV EVEN IF IT IS BUILT INTO THE VEHICLE. You will be able to ask the examiner for confirmation, it will not matter if you go the wrong way unless you make a fault while doing it.
The reversing manoeuvres
You will be asked to carry out one of three reversing manoeuvres
- parallel park at the side of the road
- park in a bay - either driving in and reversing out, or reversing in and driving out (the examiner will tell you which you have to do)
- pull up on the right-hand side of the road, reverse for 2 car lengths and rejoin the traffic
Answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving
- Tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
- show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving - for example, showing how to wash the windscreen using the car controls and wipers.
The scoring system has not changed , more than 16 minor faults or one serious or dangerous fault will result in a fail.